The Urban Inquirer
A blog produced by students at Queens College, CUNY
The Demand of Living

As we continue to learn more about economic inequality , there are many aspects and issues in ur country that can be come into mind. In the article below, it goes into the many percentages and breaks down and shows how hard it is, for the ones in poverty to be able to obtain affordable housing. Supposably these lower income Americans are paying more than half of their income in rent. And as this constant occurrence the growing gap doesn’t help with public housing and those people who are in the situation of not being able to pay for much. It’s amazing how much things correlate with other problems of America. One big thing that comes into play with the demand of living, is also how low wage workers are the biggest percent of those who can afford housing. To experience the life of a New Yorker, living in the Bronx, I see all the broken down houses and the projects, and I always wonder what put them in this situation. It’s unfortunate how this poverty is in the midsts of even better neighborhoods as everyone, as in this country, continues to ignore it. This article is really one which opened my eyes, to help me realize and comprehend the constant negatives of America.

3 Comments to “The Demand of Living”

1. John Stolfa says:

I like how you point out how Americans ignore the fact that were in the midst of poverty.Everybody sees it but its something that most people, including myself, tend to keep quiet about and never talk about. Great post but i think it could be more detailed.

2. Samantha Voxakis says:

I agree with you that is it unfortunate for some of the living situations. Gentrification is also a huge factor of that. The poorer get poorer, and everything else gets better. Basically, middle class neighborhoods are getting fixed and made to look nice for higher prices while all the projects and bad homes are still neglected.

3. Hoender Sop says:

“The pessimist in me says we will never rid the world of the conccept of money, the optimist says humanity will prevail”

Source: Chicken Soup